Proverbs 3:5-6

Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Noah has arrived!!

Our little man has arrived! He was born August 13th at 8:42 pm, weighing 7 pounds 9 ounces and 20 inches long. It was a wonderful experience that I hope I never forget! Here is the story.

About 3 am Saturday morning my water broke while I was sleeping. I hopped out of bed, called to Joshua and said "it's time!" I have always wanted to say that! I thought the contractions would start right away but they didn't. We took our time getting to the hospital, taking a shower and grabbing food at McDonalds in case they wouldn't let me eat.

We were admitted right away and brought to the delivery room where I had a 17 hour delivery. Everything moved very slowly yet flew by. I was a big baby and got drugs right away once the contractions were too much to handle. I don't know how anyone does it naturally. I don't think I could ever do that! I have so much respect for those who do.

The medicine started wearing off after awhile so I had to get some more. And once I did that things progressed really quickly. My doctor thought I wouldn't deliver until Sunday but once I got those drugs the nurse was surprised to find I was ready to go. It seemed so unreal. I was ready to have this baby!

Because of the second dose of drugs I couldn't even lift my legs so Josh and a nurse had to help me out. My doctor stayed with me THE WHOLE TIME! I was so blessed to have her there every step of the way. The drugs were so good that they had to tell me when I was having a contraction. In between the contractions we laughed and told jokes. It was nothing like in the movies or like the videos of live births I watched to prepare myself. After awhile Noah's heart rate went down and all the nurses ran in in preparation for a C-section but they just couldn't get a good reading so they hooked up a monitor internally and gave my oxygen. Noah's head wasn't coming out straight so they had to use a vacuum. After pushing for an 1.5 hours he was here. Such a miracle. Honestly I couldn't have asked for a better labor. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We stayed in the hospital until Monday afternoon and they ran some tests and saw that Noah was at high risk for jaundice but his levels were ok to be sent home. The next day we got some more labs done and it showed he had jumped from a 10 (on Monday) to an 18 (on Tuesday). We were told to head to the ER at Children's Hospital right away to get treatment. Josh and I were really scared. I knew it would be ok but still a scary situation to be in. It was really hard to see them poke and prod our little man. I had to leave when they put in a catheter. I don't think Josh and I have cried that much in our lives! Noah was such a strong little man but he was so frail. At one point his body just went limp from exhaustion. The hardest thing I had to see!

The next morning his level had gone down to a 15 but they wanted to keep him under the lights to bring it down even more so we stayed a second night. It was really nice for Josh and I to be alone with Noah for a few days! It brought us really close. 

The next morning Noah's levels were at a 10 again and it was safe to go home. I felt like we were in the hospital(s) for so long it should have been fall and I was expecting cooler weather haha! But it is still hot out!

These last few days we had together before Josh left for work have been really nice! We got into a groove and have been tag teaming all the duties. When Noah wakes up Josh grabs him and bring him to me so I can feed him. Then once he has fallen asleep (I can never keep him awake) we warm a bottle that I have pumped and Josh feeds him while I pump some more. We change his diaper finish the feeding and then Josh lays him back down again. We even tag team the diaper duty. One of us holds his legs while the other cleans him up. We have some awesome stories of changing accidents already! 

We got some newborn pictures taken by a friend of ours Alisha Miller and then another friend, Molly came over to take some at our house. I love them all and so grateful to be able to capture these first days and all the pee and poop accidents we have had during them!

Josh just left for 1 week of work (will be back next Wed) and I can honestly say I am a bit nervous. Noah always quiets down in Josh's arms and he knows when he isn't around us. It will be so nice to always have those 2 weeks off to double team the parenting and enjoy all of the moments together.

I have already lost more than 20 pounds and have 20 more to go to be at my pre pregnancy weight. I am still sore and healing and I can't wait to be back to my normal self. I can say that it is nice to sleep without a big bump in the front!

Here are a few pictures of Noah's first week!


First pictures...look at that curly hair!!

First bath...he loved playing in the water -
but not in his own tub at home :(



You can see the jaundice - burping
(such a strong neck already)
he is our little turtle!!

Anderson family!!
Auntie and cousin
&
Grandma Marcia!!

Aunties all around!!

At Children's Hospital under the blue lights...
all the cords made me so sad!!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats, praise God that all went well and that baby Noah is home and doing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jill-Jill, I just loved reading that summary of everything - and seeing all the pictures. LOVE! He is just precious and I am so glad he is here. I'll be praying for you this next week - you can do it, Jesus will be your strength. I love you.

    ReplyDelete